Monday, January 14, 2013

Pranks 'n Revenge

Do you have any ideas on how to get back at my sister? Every year on April Fools Day she comes up with some new and creative way to prank me. Some may say I’m not that hard to prank, but she still gets me! She is a trouble maker, I swear. Last year she got me all freaked out that someone may break into the house and come into my room and take me. In the middle of the night I woke up screaming because she grabbed my arm while I was mid-dream. Scary stuff! So this year I’m thinking of pranking like a pro. I like to call this sweet thing “revenge”. This will be good.

            I've been searching some ideas of revenge April Fools pranks on the internet and I ended up finding some awesome ideas. Here is a link of what I found. My favorite prank is to hide an alarm clock in her room in a place that she’ll never think of looking and set it for three in the morning. This way she won’t be able to sleep until she turns it off- which is pure genius. Props to whoever thought of that! Another good one I've seen is to make a fake copy of an important piece of paper or a project for school that she has and replace it with the real one. Then I can spill my drink on it and make her flip out because her hard work is ruined. Is that too cruel?
            Revenge in general is a cruel thing. Its human nature to want to get back at someone for doing something nasty they do to you, but is it really worth it? Does it make you better than that person to get back at them? Unfortunately no but it is good for a laugh! If not a laugh, it’s useful for a pick-me-up. I have a lot of mixed emotions about revenge because of this. Personally, I feel remorse when I do something that may hurt someone else, although it’s difficult to fight off the urge to “punish” them. It’s this very human nature quality that links to selfishness. Let’s face it, we all put ourselves first. Why should we care what others feel when we can please ourselves?
 This is my view of Hamlet’s thoughts in Hamlet by Shakespeare. Hamlet is a prince who’s father has recently passed away of “unknown causes”. Hamlet saw his father’s ghost, who told Hamlet that he was murdered by his uncle for the hand of the queen and the power. If I were him, I would be far beyond mad. Guess what he decides to do about it? Good guess, revenge! If his uncle had poisoned his father, he will take the life of his uncle as payback. I completely understand his motive and reasoning but is it right to take a life for a life? According to Hammurabi's Code, it was considered fair and just to have an equal punishment. This seems a little far, how about forgiveness? I wouldn't expect him to make amends with his uncle but to take his life is another story. I've heard rumors about that ending of this play and I am still excited to read it for myself. Knowing Shakespeare, it will be bloody and everyone will die. Here is video a  I found of the big fight scene from Hamlet in search of some action and fighting from the play. Comment with any opinions or ideas of revenge or pranks, thanks guys!

6 comments:

  1. I most certainly agree with what you are saying: revenge is quite a confusing and controversial topic. I've often wondered why this is but I guess it is because the act of taking one's revenge vastly varies. Taking revenge can be as dynamic as playing a harmless prank to get back at someone or killing another person. I believe taking revenge in certain cases (like on your sister on April Fool's Day) is acceptable and can even be used for a little laugh. However, in Hamlet's case, there is a bit of grey area. If someone kills another person, does it give a person just cause to kill that murderer? Well, I think Hamlet's attempted murder of King Claudius was justified because the King murdered his father. However, not only did Hamlets vengeful plot affect the King, it also took the lives of Polonious and his children. In short, I guess what I have finally come to realize is that taking revenge is something we choose to do, but when we make that choice, we must prepare ourselves to suffer the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the story about you and your sister because my sister and I are the smae way! I filled a sauce pot full of water and ice and dumbed it on her while she was in the shower. I agree with you and Izzy about how controversial revenge is. When is taking revenge too much? When should it be accepted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off I love your blog background Kristi. I agree with you about revenge, you never know when you took it too far or when you didn't take it far enough. I think revenge is a great way to get back at people but only to a certain extent, I know my siblings are the same as your sister always pranking. The alarm clock prank is so genius, and so is the paper switch, I am definitely going to have to try them some time. And as for Hamlet, is the olden days if he wants to kill his uncle, I say go for it. However, if it was today's time period, killing would be a no-no!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those pranks you found on that website, especially the alarm clock one! I may just have to use that on my mother ;) (Cruel, I know...but worth it). I remember two years ago my mother told me that my father backed over my bicycle with our car...and I started crying...at age 15. Over a bicycle. It was...quite the time, to be honest. I was really angry afterwards but I didn't do anything for revenge, unfortunately. But using April Fool's Day as an example was a smart choice, props to you. After reading all these posts, I'm starting to get the feeling that MacBeth and Hamlet are quite similar in plot. I think I'll need to get with the times and read Hamlet. By the way, love the background. Have you ever pulled a really good April Fool's joke on someone? If so, please share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a sister, actually two, and I would love to pull pranks on her! The alarm clock one is a good one! Have you ever seen the show Ridiculousness? If you haven't you should, it will definitely give you great prank ideas. After just reading the part about Hamlet, I feel it has similarities to Macbeth. My class read Macbeth last year, and at first I was like that sounds like Macbeth, but no, it was Hamlet. I enjoyed reading your post, and your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this, all of these ideas are really entertaining! Although I must say, I'm not one for revenge, if I am hurt by someone I will just not talk to them until they apologize, which I guess you could say is sort of revenge but it actually hurts me more than them. I also see revenge as a way of forgiveness, if someone hurts you you often feel like in order to forgive them you must know you hurt them worse than they hurt you! Great blog:)

    ReplyDelete